There are different ways of praying. The best
way for you to pray is the way that you find easiest.
Here are a few suggestions which different
people have found to be helpful.
1. Plan to pray; do not leave
it to chance. Select a time and a place (a room at home, on the
bus, taking a walk).
2. Decide on how long you will
spend in trying to pray (five minutes, ten, fifteen, thirty or
3. Decide what you are going
to do when you pray - e.g. which prayer to select to say slowly
4. Always start by asking the
Holy Spirit for help in your prayers. Pray: “Come Holy Spirit,
teach me to pray; help me to do it”.
5. Remember you are trying to
get in touch with a Person, and that Person is God - Father or
Son or Holy Spirit.
6. Don’t be a slave to
one way of praying. Choose the one that you find easiest, and
try some other method.
7. Don’t look for results.
8. If you have distractions,
then turn your distractions into your prayer.
9. If you always feel dry and
uninterested at prayer, then read a spiritual book or pamphlet.
10. Trying to pray is praying.
Never give up trying.